Thursday, April 25, 2013

Procrastination is killing me... slowly.

Why do I procrastinate doing the things I'm most excited to do? When it comes to tv I let my favorite shows sit on the DVR for weeks because I hate the feeling of finishing them and having nothing left to watch. It's also because I put waaay too much stock into creating the perfect environment for things I'm looking forward to. I want to watch it early in the evening but not so much that I can't unwind first. I also want to have the right snack/drink in my hand. It's even gotten to the point where I want a certain pair of pajamas because they're the comfiest. I realize that this is putting me in the position of never being comfortable enough to embark on something even if I've been looking forward to it for a long time.

This is especially frustrating when a pivotal moment pops up that I want to act on. Recently I decided that I want to pursue writing, possibly children's books, and I know the path I want to take but I just haven't done it yet. You would think I'd be rearing to go since I've been sitting on this restless desire to write for years. Nope. As soon as I made the decision it was like something in me went, "pthpppt.. you can wait now that you know what you want to do. and it will be SO much work!"

Why do I do this to myself? It feels a bit like self sabotage. I'm hoping there's someone out there who has experienced this and has some encouraging advice on how to overcome it.

No comments:

Post a Comment